The BEST and MOST used recipe from The Chocolate Plate! Bringing back The Best Chocolate Cake EVER!
This recipe will convince all who try it that you are truly a Michelin star chef. So roll up those sleeves, slap some cocoa powder on your face and let’s get busy! Follow my easy, step by step, instructions below and expect perfection.
1 1/3 Cups – Water
3/4 Cup – Guittard Cocoa Powder(GREAT Cocoa Powder!)
3 1/4 Cups – All-Purpose Flour (Unpacked. Just scoop the flour, level off with finger and pour into bowl.)
2 1/2 Cups – Sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons – Salt
4 Teaspoons – Baking Soda
1 1/2 Cups – Buttermilk
1 Cup – Vegetable Oil
3 Large – Eggs
2 Teaspoons – Nielsen-Massey Vanilla
3 8oz packages – Cream Cheese
3 Pounds – Powdered Sugar
- Soften cream cheese to room temp(heat on microwave-safe plate for 40 seconds in microwave)
- Place cream cheese and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Place water in a pot and bring to a boil. Take off heat.
- Dump cocoa powder into water. Whisk until smooth. Place in refrigerator to cool.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- Combine the flour and buttermilk mixture together. Whisk until combined.
- Add the slightly cooled cocoa powder/water mixture to the mixture from step 5.
****Important Step***** – Whisk final batter for 2 minutes straight!
- Fill two, non-stick, greased 9-inch pans, HALF WAY full with the batter. If their is excess just throw it out. *Trick – place parchment paper down in the pan first. Grease under the parchment and on top (see picture below).
- Bake at 325 F for 55 minutes to 1 hour. Do not open oven until at least 50 minutes has passed!
- Once you can stick a tooth pick in the middle and it comes out clean take it out of the oven to cool.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
Building Your Cake:
- Remove cake from pans.
- Crumb coat cake(thin layer of frosting around the cake – See picture).
- Place cakes back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Frost the bottom cake fully. Then place the second cake on top of the first and finish fully frosting the now, double layer, cake.
- Slice up and serve to you and your guests! Keep refrigerated when not being served.***Extra*** – Chocolate Ganache topping :Recipe: 1/2 cup heavy cream & 1 cup chocolate. Heat heavy cream to a low boil. Pour over chocolate and then whisk together. EASY!