Memorial Day and Independence Day are designated for us to remember the men and women who died serving our country, as well as celebrate the day we become our own nation. These cupcakes are a FUN and COLORFUL way to remember or celebrate with family and friends!
Cupcake Recipe: Makes 12 Cupcakes
Flour – 300 grams
Sugar – 254 grams
Cocoa Powder – 48 grams
Baking Powder – 10 grams
Salt – 6 grams
Milk – 240 grams
Vegetable Oil – 180 grams
Egg Yolk – 2
Vanilla Extract – 10 grams
Chocolate Chips – 200 grams
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Whisk together.
- In the same bowl add the milk, vegetable oil, egg yolks and orange extract. Whisk all ingredients together.
- Lastly, add the chocolate chips and stir together.
- Portion out batter into muffin/cupcake pan that is lined with cupcake liners. *Note that you will fill them up fairly high.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. This time and temperature will leave the center of the cupcake very moist. The cupcakes will “fall” in the center a little bit. Don’t worry, that is intended.
Cream Cheese Icing:
Cream Cheese – 8 oz
Powdered Sugar – 16 oz
Milk – .50 oz
- In a powerful mixer (hand or standing) place all the ingredients in the bowl.
- Cream together with the paddle attachment until the mixture is soft and creamy. *This will take about 5 minutes. Start at a lower speed and as it comes together increase the speed on the mixer.
Decorate how you see fit! For mine, I split the cream cheese icing into three parts. To one third, I added red food coloring. To another third, I added blue food coloring. To the last third, I left white. Pipe out the cream cheese or just dollop it on with a spoon. Have fun with it! Red, White and Blue your way to an All American Cupcake!